Rous Lench Village Hall - How It Works 

Village Hall Constitution

The Constitution is set out in a document called Bye-Laws Of Chafecote. This defines the objectives of the village hall, the make-up of the Management Committee and other appropriate bye-laws governing the proper and effective use and running of the hall. The Constitution allows for its bye-laws to be varied from time to time by the Management Committee.

As a requirement of the Constitution, an Annual General Meeting (AGM), open to all residents, is advertised and held following the end of the village hall's financial year.


The Trustees and Management Committee

The Trustees and Management Committee is made up of Officers and General Members

  • Officers are holders of specific posts, elected at the Annual General Meeting. 

  • General Members are co-opted as representatives of the local community. 

  • Affiliated Organisations are those local groups having representative members on the Committee.

Village Hall Finances

Rous Lench Village Hall is a registered charity, held in trust by the Charities Commission. Its financial affairs are governed in two ways:

  • By its Constitution: The Constitution requires a Management Committee be established to ensure proper and effective use and running of the hall.

  • By charity law: It is incumbent upon the management committee of any charity to annually declare its trustee's and produce a set of accounts and a trustee's report. The trustees of the village hall are the four elected officers: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary.

The Management Committee complies with the requirements of charity law and the constitution in two ways:

  • Publicly: At the AGM, the Chairman reports on performance against the objectives of the village hall and the Treasurer reports on the financial accounts.

  • Formally: Dependent upon the value of incoming funds for the year, the appropriate set of accounts, independent examiners report and trustees report as defined by the Charities Commission are sent to the Charities Commission.

The Treasurer takes appropriate advice from the Charity Commission and an Independent Financial Advisor in order to comply with guidance on good practice regarding the finances of the village hall. Some of the more obvious good practices being:

  • Records of financial transactions are kept for a minimum of 6 years

  • All expenses are paid by cheque against a valid invoice or proof of purchase unless absolutely unavoidable, in which case a signed receipt for a cash payment is required

  • Expense above £100 requires prior Committee approval

  • Current financial position is minuted at Committee meetings

  • An annual Independent Financial Review of the accounts is undertaken if annual income exceeds the threshold for such review, as set by the Charities Commission

  • Multiple quotations are obtained for large projects or items of expense likely to exceed £1,000

Village Hall Fund Raising
The village hall employs various means of fundraising in order to meet its running costs and to fund its facilities maintenance and improvement plans; these fall into four broad categories:

  • Partnering with other local charities to hold joint fundraising events, allowing us to share the workload and the benefits, the main ones currently being:

    • The Pig Roast - partnering with the Parochial Church Council (PCC)

    • The Easter Chick supper - partnering with the Church Lench Pre-School Group

    • The Harvest supper - partnering with the Church Lench Pre-School Group

  • Holding our own fundraising events, the main ones currently being:

    • The Rous Lench Open Golf Day 

    • Theatre nights with Shindig or with GLADS

    • Family quiz and skittle nights

    • The Christmas event - traditionally, the first Saturday in December

  • Private hire of the hall for:

    • Parties - children's and adult's birthday parties, wedding receptions

    • Meetings - committees, clubs, elections etc.

    • Classes - dance, fitness etc.

  • Grants, Donations and Gift Aid

    • Grants have been granted by Wychavon District Council, DEFRA and Severn Trent Waste.

    • Many donations have been received from residents and friends of the village hall.

    • Wherever possible, Gift Aid is claimed on personal donations to increase the donation by 25%

Village Hall Maintenance Plan

The following are the approximate annual costs of keeping the village hall open, comfortable and fit for purpose:

  • Electricity, Water and Oil costs - £1200

  • Buildings, Contents, Employer Liability and Public Liability - £700

  • Cleaning costs - £500

  • Boiler and fire extinguisher maintenance - £300

  • Licenses for TV, Music, Entertainment, Lotteries - £500

  • Running repairs and other maintenance - £1000

By continually improving our facilities to meet local demand it is our long term aim is to encourage an increase in hire of the hall sufficient to cover annual maintenance costs.

Notes On-Premises Licence and Bar Facility
A "Premises Licence" was acquired by the Management Committee in order for it to more easily hold fundraising events for which licensing was required.  The full Premises Licence is composed a Licence for the Hall itself, which permits licensable activities to occur there, and a Personal License which is held by a member of the Committee who attended a special course and passed an exam and who has agreed to take personal legal responsibility for ensuring that all licensed activities at the Hall are carried out within the limits of the law.

The interior of the Village Hall is, therefore, a fully licensed venue for the provision of entertainment and the sale of alcohol to the general public.  The member of the Hall's Management Committee who is a Personal Licence holder is also its Designated Premises Supervisor.  For this reason, all events that are run by the Management Committee itself are licensed.  

Hirer's of the Hall, however, do not benefit from the Hall's licensing unless otherwise agreed to by the Management Committee and the Premises Supervisor in writing.

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN), which is a substitute for a full licence, would be required by anyone hiring the Hall for a function at which any of these conditions are met:

  • Alcohol will be sold (e.g. wine, beer, cider, spirits, punch, etc.)

  • Alcohol will be served to members of a private club

  • Entertainment will be provided (e.g. music, dancing, indoor sporting events, etc.)

We wish to point out, however, that the Village Hall's constitution prohibits anyone other than the Village Hall Management Committee from running the hall's bar at any public events. Therefore, hirer's are NOT allowed to run a for-profit bar at any event.  The constitution does not allow for alcohol to be sold unless it is sold for the benefit of the village hall.

For more information about TENs, we would refer you to:  https://www.gov.uk/temporary-events-notice.

Generally, a TEN would NOT be required by those hiring the Hall for a private function where ALL the following conditions are met:

  • Only invited guests are permitted entry to the event (i.e. it is NOT open to the general public)

  • Guests are NOT charged for entry to the event, nor does their membership in a "club" entitle them to entry.

  • Alcohol may be served, but it is free-of-charge

  • No licensable entertainment is provided

It is the hirer's responsibility to inform themselves whether any aspect of their function will require a TEN, and unless agreed in writing otherwise, the Hall is always hired on the assumption that the hirer has no plans to use the Hall for licensable activities.

Notes On Other Licenses
In addition to the Premises License, the village hall management committee hold licenses for:

  • The showing Freeview Television (TV License)

  • The playing or performing of music or soundtracks from films (PRS and PPL Licenses))

  • The showing of certain films, incidental to the purpose of an event (PVS License)

  • The holding of lotteries (Wychavon Lottery License)

Notes on Bookings

Full guidance on booking and hiring the hall is included in the Village Hall Hire section of this website.


Notes on Insurance

The village hall is insured for loss, theft or damage to the building and high-value contents. The village hall management committee is additionally insured against employer liabilities and public liabilities.

Rous Lench Village Hall, The Green, Rous Lench, Evesham, WR11 4UN
01386 896155    info@rouslench.com